Sunday, September 10, 2017

Dinners

One of my favorite things to do is entertain on my back deck in the summer, and often take the opportunity to stretch those evenings in autumn when I can. This past summer I haven't had company as often as I would have liked to for various reasons, so I'm hoping the weather holds long enough to allow me to do it a few more weeks in September. 

The Friday night I had folks in for dinner and we were able to sit outside enjoying the crisp September evening. It was definitely sweater weather and I wore socks with my shoes - no more sandals in the evening I think - but the night was still and lovely and the company warm and convivial so it was a great time. I guess I'm a social animal because I do like entertaining more than being alone. Not everybody does I know.


One of the things I haven't done much this summer is grill, simply because I've never been the grill person and its new territory for me. I'm learning, but not feeling completely confident yet at it so I usually defer to items I can cook ahead. Friday might that meant chicken salad as a main dish, which allowed me to spend time with my guests as much as possible. I have a low-stress approach to entertaining, learned over many years. I like to enjoy myself as much as possible, although eschewing alcohol is a necessary part of the equation. I like the relaxation of a drink but it tends to make me less attentive and tired, which isn't the best state to be in when you're in charge of other people's meal! I don't mind though - conversation and laughter is worth that small sacrifice.

I guess my opportunities for entertaining on the back deck are coming to an end quickly but this weekend at least, I made good use of the weather. And I enjoyed every minute of it.

No comments: