Saturday, September 2, 2017

Classic

Two things have coincided to make me think a lot about lost dreams of my youth! First is the  photo exhibit at Clinton Academy produced by the East Hampton Historical Society of young Jackie Bouvier (Kennedy) in her days growing up here during the summer months when she was active in horse shows and riding. She was a gorgeous child and in every photo of her those famous eyes are on full display, along with her obvious love of all things equine.

The second in the Hampton Classic Horse Show arriving once again. Today I'm attending a noon event there with family members, taking the opportunity to introduce grandchildren to the beauty of these animals.

My lost dream is the one where I used to want to learn to ride and have a horse of my own. I remember my grandfather, who was always the most attuned to my thoughts when I was young, entering a contest on the back of a cereal box where the first prize was a pony. He proudly showed me the form he had filled out to mail in and informed me that if he won the pony was mine. Of course knowing my father I never would have been allowed to keep it anyway so its best he and I didn't win that pony, but it was a dream of mine that was never fulfilled.

In fact, I don't think I've ever been on a horse. Ever.

So - looking over Jackie's photos and attending the classic today will both go a long way toward reminding me of those early dreams that are never realized. One of many, of course, but they do die hard and somehow I still think anything is possible....

No comments: