Sunday, August 13, 2017

Icons

We lost a couple music icons this past week and it's made me think about the effect that certain people have on the world and on the people of their generation.

I remember whenever Glenn Miller's Orchestra came on the radio or television my parents would stop what they were doing and listen. I understand it now. Because WWII was such a huge part of their lives, and that band was such a major player in the music of that era, that hearing them play must have brought a flood of memories to them. I'm not sure whether they were remembering combat, or blood drives, or wrapping bandages with the Red Cross, but their faces clearly reflected that they had been transported to a pivotal time in their lives simply by hearing the first few strains of a familiar tune.

I feel the same way this week as certain songs and voices have flooded the airwaves in response to the passing of two musical legends. 

And I need you more than want you,
And I want you for all time

And the Wichita Lineman is still on the line

This words haunt me now. They mean more than they did fifty years ago - and they are quite profound. 

Each generation has its spokespersons. For mine it was Peter, Paul & Mary, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, and Glen Campbell, among others. They spoke for us and they moved our hearts and they feed our spirits as only music can. And it makes me sad to say goodbye to any of them. It was a sad week for sure.

No comments: