Sunday, July 2, 2017

July 2nd

It's always hard to believe another month has slipped by and this is no exception, but it clearly is July 4th weekend here in East Hampton. There's no getting around it really. The grocery store was packed yesterday when I needed to make an emergency trip for something I forgot earlier. I thought I was so smart getting there at 7am when it was quiet, but having to return at noon was a nightmare!

The dump was not as quiet as it usually is at 7:00 and I was shocked to see so many care there when I pulled it. I can only imagine that they opened the gate early because I was there right at 7 and there were at least 10 cars already unloading.

The weather was pretty dull with overcast skies and a stiff breeze. Even though the storms didn't touch down here, you could feel them in the air and knew that Connecticut and maybe even the north shore were getting pounded. It was pleasant enough to lie in my hammock for awhile, curling up to close my eyes for an afternoon rest, but I doubt the beach had many visitors.

Our wet weather has certainly made for some stunning growth around town this year and I don't think I've ever seen the hydrangeas quite so lovely.

I think the coming week promises better days than yesterday - hopefully today will be one of them - but I honestly haven't minded the weather so far. At least the heat and humidity have not been oppressive and for that, I'm very grateful!

No comments: