Wednesday, June 14, 2017

What a world

As I type this, I'm also listening to the news reporting on the shooting in Virginia where the Republican congressmen were practicing baseball. And I think "what a world".

I am reminded of similar days when I was here in this house watching history unfold before me. I remember the Challenger disaster. I remember John Lennon's death. I remember President Reagan being shot. And I remember the Gabby Giffords shooting. And I still shake my head that there are such terrible people in the world who would decide to take things into their own hands and attempt to take lives. Who do they think they are?

Fortunately none of the victims today are in danger of dying. Apparently this shooter wasn't very skilled. But hearing that one of the congressmen had his eight-year-old son with him and how the others protected him in the dugout during the melee, well, its just awful.

This on the heels of my ambulance call at 3:00 this morning where a woman was attached by her husband while she slept in her bed. And thinking about her small children standing in their kitchen listening as she described the horror to the police. Will they be forever scarred?

What a world indeed. I feel fortunate t o live in a place where this is not the norm and shakes us to our core. I'm fully aware of the fact that there are other places in this world where this kind of violence is a normal every day occurrence. And I'm taking today to focus my prayers on them.

No comments: