Thursday, May 18, 2017

Mornings

My morning walks are especially enjoyable at this time of the year.

In the summer, its too hot and I'm happy to get them over with so I can shower and wash the sweat off for the day. I hate heat and humidity so summer is not my favorite time of the year. Winter is so cold that walking is often a challenge when the wind is in your face and it bites your cheeks and waters your eyes. I warm up quickly, but its so dark when I set out that its just not conducive to enjoyment. Its work in the summer and winter,

But spring and fall, well those are totally different stories. Right now there is a little bite in the air but I'm wearing lighter work-out clothes and I'm comfortable in the cool morning air. Its light out by 5am and my natural body clock kicks in so I'm up and ready to go by 5:30. The streets are quiet then and its such a treat to walk through the village neighborhoods, noticing the latest flowers to bloom and the new color someone has painted their house. Every day there's something new to see, and passing the same folks every day on their own morning walks is nice when you can see them coming and nod as they pass. The crowds at the Hampton Jitney stop are growing with the season and they are there reading their papers and hanging on to their briefcases, waiting for the early bus to arrive. And the smells - the smells are amazing from the eggs and bacon coming from Josh Pappas to the lilacs in the yard I'm passing. And I haven't even mentioned the birds yet. There's nothing quite like the early songs of the birds.

Sometimes there's a mist that hangs over the earth - the fog that rolls in from the sea to cover everything in a veil of gray. Not a heavy fog, just a light covering over the ground obscuring the road and bushes. Its magic in the way it changes everything and I'm fascinated by it. But its gone quickly and not everyone gets to see it - its a special gift for early risers.

It is a great time of year for walking outside in the morning, enjoying this place we call home before it wakes up for the day. The sky is ablaze with the early light and the grass is never greener. What a way to greet the morning.

No comments: