Thursday, May 25, 2017

As expected

Yes the trip to NYC went pretty much as expected yesterday. I was exhausted when I got home.

The Jitney ride in was OK - lot of traffic during rush hour of course, but we got in only a few minutes after scheduled arrival time. But once in Manhattan things were crazy. There was one taxi ride that nearly sent me over the edge. Those drivers are so aggressive I can barely stand it. At one point the taxi was jockeying for position against a city transit bus and I swear to you, that bus was within six inches of my face. There were other skirmishes just as close, with big trucks and other taxis, everyone trying to get in front of the person next to them and no one seeming to want to back off. Yikes. It was a hair raising ride from 45th to 60th and down a few blocks from Madison to 3rd. 

I always love going by the park. I love the handsome cabs and I'm always amused at the way the different drivers pimp out their cabs with artificial flowers, trying to get the attention of anyone looking for a ride through Central Park. We did it once many years ago and it is a favorite memory of mine. The park is peaceful and green, a spot of tranquility in the midst of a crazy, noisy, busy city that has to be experienced to understand.

It was a busy day that even involved a tram ride to Roosevelt Island where my friend lives, and ending with a long drive home, once again during rush hour. New York City is a great place to visit. I'm glad I don't live there.

No comments: