Sunday, April 2, 2017

Home

I've been on the road for a few days now and coming home felt really good. As quiet and lonely as this house seems some times, it's my personal space and I love it. I've been here for almost forty years now and made it my own and I feel more at home here than anywhere so getting back here is a comfort to my soul.

Yesterday was about unpacking and doing laundry. I drove in the driveway about 1:00 after leaving Pennsylvania at 8, and I was weary and travel worn. My arms ached from being so tense as I navigated around NYC and JFK airport. By the time I got here I was more than ready to get my things out of the car and just veg for the rest of the day. It was great to see friends from away and family too, but it was also great to get home in one piece, safe and sound after a couple tough driving days. My heart is in many places, but my home is here, in East Hampton, on this road where my ancestors planted themselves two hundred years ago and declared it theirs. It still is and their spirit lives on in their descendants, still living and loving this place.

So, today I'm in my place of contentment and peace. And I feel God's presence with me now more than ever. It's a welcome feeling. It's good to be home.

No comments: