Thursday, April 27, 2017

Books

I have become a bit of a bookworm these past ten months. I think I've read more books in the past year than I had in ten years before that. I never seemed to have time to read, and in this small house it was never easy to find a quiet spot to do it. I need quiet when I read. I need the television off and the house serene and I need to concentrate on what I'm reading. Being alone has provided me with more peace and quiet than I know what to do with.

So back in the summer I was reading books that were helping me through the difficult time I was facing. I read books about addiction, about sexual infidelity, about marriage, about anything that was remotely connected to my own life then. I found a lot of help in those books and they certainly assisted me in getting through some difficult days. For me, knowledge is powerful and understanding circumstances enables me to cope with them. Books give us that kind of power.

Now, and since the first of this year, my books have become more spiritual in nature. I've been reading about getting my life on track, about God's plans for us, and most importantly, how to center myself spiritually so I have the peace that only comes with that kind of place in my soul. I am a woman of faith and my faith is the center of my life. Only in the times I've allowed myself to lose sight of that center have I faltered. Now I'm back where I need to be, thanks to some of the books I've gotten into that have helped me find my way back. I was literally in the wilderness for months, flailing around, trying to find my way. Now I have my compass back and it makes all the difference. 

So, first thing every morning I sit at my table, just as I saw my mother do for so many years, and I open my Bible, and whatever book it is that I'm working my way through at the moment. And I start my day the right way. Its my new life and I love it.

No comments: