Friday, March 3, 2017

Someday

I am sure that there will be easier times in my life. I'm told that someday I'll be in a better place.
But I wonder about "someday".

I think we take the joys of life for granted here in the civilized western world. We have many wonderful things in our lives - conveniences and luxuries not known to the rest of humanity, and there are millions of people on earth who never have the gift of three meals a day, running water, clean clothes, etc. So really, why should things get easier for me? I've been blessed for sure.

I've had a good life. I've known comfort and I've known blessings. I think it would be rather selfish and high minded of me to expect that for the rest of my life I should be so lucky. Perhaps we are given a certain measure, as luck would have it, and then its over. Not that there aren't those that live charmed existences their whole time in earth, but it certainly isn't to be expected. Fate, or luck, or whatever it is you want to call it - steps in and life is always easy. But not for everyone and I am certainly no more deserving of ease and comfort than any of the millions who never experience it. So I shouldn't complain about a rough road now should I?

I'm not going to think about "someday" any longer. I'm going to try to make the best of my final days here on this earth and be the best person I can be. I'll work toward leaving behind a legacy of love, but I won't keep waiting for things to get better. Because I'd just be wasting whatever time I have left. I may not be soaring, but sometimes just getting into the air is enough. 

No comments: