Friday, March 31, 2017

Marching along

This is the last day of March and as I have with each month these past nine, I'm happy to see it go. I don't normally like to see time pass, but this year each month has brought its share of pain and melancholy and I'm not sad seeing them go. There have been good memories of course, but they're all overshadowed by the bad ones. I know next year will be better and I'll be back to my enjoyment of each month and its treasures. But not this year. Like with any period of grief, the first year is the worst. Each month brings anniversaries of special times and memories that are not bittersweet. So, nine months in, I'm looking forward to the closing of this, the first year.

March is always an odd month, with great temperature swings and wild weather. Its one of those months when you need to check the weather report every morning to know how to  dress. Is it s heavy sweater day or a flannel shirt day? Do I need to heavy winter coat or will my down vest be comfortable enough? Do I need gloves? A hat? Only a quick check of the temperature and wind report will answer those questions.


So we say goodbye to March, not sadly, but with resignation for another four weeks gone. And with optimism that the future is going to be better than the past. Because it will.

No comments: