Monday, March 6, 2017

Life

Saturday was my birthday and it was an unexpectedly wonderful day.

Sometimes it seems as though the moments we most dread turn out to be among the best, not the worst, of times. And that is exactly what happened Saturday. I wasn't sure how I felt about this birthday - its a big number and I'm alone for the first time in a very long time. Will I be sad all day? Will I feel lonely and a failure? Will I wish I was somewhere else, doing something else?

As it turned out it was a wonderful weekend. Friday night I was out with friends. We had dinner together and they made me feel as though life was good. Saturday I had lunch with my son and his family because his daughter shares the same birthday and I was happy to be with my little buddy as we celebrated our day together. She's a bundle of joy, all cuddles and happiness, and her zest for life is contagious.

My kids and their families came to prepare dinner that night and I had hours to enjoy my amazing family. And I went to bed feeling blessed and content with my reality. I see a future now. I imagine smiles and laughter. It was a week of ups and downs that ended with a wonderful affirming time and I climbed out of bed Sunday morning ready to conquer the world.

Isn't it amazing how a few positive things can turn us around? An unexpected email, a meeting with someone that brings about change, a celebration of life and love....all things that in and of themselves might have been significant, but not necessarily altering. And yet put together they became a touchstone moment and lifted my spirits. And I'm so grateful for that. Because now I'm running headlong into a new year of my life, with optimism and enthusiasm that feels fresh and new. And that has to be a very good thing. 

No comments: