Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Soaring

Yesterday I mentioned the idea of "soaring" and it reminded me of my favorite ride at Epcot in Disney World. It's called "Soarin'" and it's really an imax movie,  but rather than sitting in a regular stadium seat you're in a bank of seats that lifts off the ground and moves with the video, giving you the sensation of actually flying in whatever it is that's taking the photos - helicopter, drone, whatever.

The ride even has other sensory enticements to go along with the video - orange smell when soaring over an orange grove, and mist when flying low over the ocean. Its quite genius and really wonderful..

Unfortunately its also very popular so as much as I'd have liked to, I couldn't go on it three or four times when I was there in November. The movie had changed since the last time I'd been there and it was more thrilling and more real than I remembered it from years before.

Two years ago when I went to Florida I visited the Kennedy Space Center where I sat in on two long imax productions and they were pretty great as well. But there was no moving seat and no other senses being teased into thinking I was actually out in space.   Then again, nobody does it like Disney.

Anyway, since I wrote that blog I've been thinking a lot about the concept of "soaring" and I've decided that this will be my goal for the year. I may not be able to soar quite yet, but with time, and as long as I'm working toward it, I may just get there eventually. I may have to forever fly with a wing that was broken and healed, and there may always be pain when making swoops or taking off, but I think I can soar again. At least I'm hoping so. And that's going to be my mantra now: It's time to soar!

No comments: