Monday, February 13, 2017

Lincoln

Yesterday was President Abraham Lincoln's birthday. When I was young it was a day off of school - we had two in February: Lincoln's birthday on the 12th and Washington's on the 22nd. At some point when I was in high school (I think) they combined them into "President's Day", always to be celebrated on a Monday for ever after. I think we are missing something by not celebrating each of them as they were very special leaders in this country, and today with the sad lack of leadership we're experiencing it might be nice to be reminded of what good leadership truly is. And isn't. But - I am wandering into political territory here which I don't like to do, so that's all I'm going to say about that.

Regardless, I think the fact that we celebrated Lincoln's birthday every year led to more educational opportunities about him at school. I remember every year as we approached his birthday we would discuss in class who he was, what he did, and what made him a great president. Different teachers would find interesting ways to teach us about his legacy and the way his leadership changed the nation for the better so long ago. I wonder if that still happens to the same extent. We would often make art projects focused on his presidency and I remember more than one portrait of him being cut out and mounted over the elementary school years. I think its too bad we don't focus on him as much anymore.

Well it wouldn't be a bed thing to acknowledge, especially with our children, that honesty, integrity, and grace are the kind of attributes we value in our leaders. Abraham Lincoln had them in abundance. Perhaps if we stressed those things a little more we wouldn't be faced with the lack of integrity in our leadership today.

Of there I go again. Sometimes I just can't help myself....

No comments: