Wednesday, January 4, 2017

PBS

I always listen to my local Public Service Station on the radio when I'm in my car traveling to and fro. Today I was listening to "The Writer's Almanac" which is a regular feature by Garrison Keillor that highlights literature, both prose and poetry. On today's show he read a poem that really spoke to me and I thought it was worth sharing. Here it is:

The Woodcutter Changes His Mind

When I was young, I cut the bigger, older trees for firewood, the ones
with heart rot, dead and broken branches, the crippled and deformed

ones, because, I reasoned, they were going to fall soon anyway, and
therefore, I should give the younger trees more light and room to grow.

Now I'm older and I cut the younger, strong and sturdy, solid
and beautiful trees, and I let the older ones have a few more years

of light and water and leaf in the forest they have known so long.
Soon enough they will be prostrate on the ground.  


Funny how things speak to you at different times in your life. This one, I guess, just resonated because of my age and the way our perspective changes as the years do. In any case, I thought it was worth saving and going back to occasionally. And so I am....

No comments: