Monday, January 30, 2017

Lunch

One of my favorite scenes in "Blue Bloods" television show every week is the extended family sitting around the dining room table. I think because it reminds me of my own family ritual of getting together for "Sunday lunch" throughout the winter months.

My mother started the tradition years ago, having everyone come after church for lunch together. She did all the work and loved getting everyone together. In retrospect it was a great gift to all of us - one of her legacies really - because it taught us the value in touching base with family members on a regular basis. In this day and age its way too easy to go for many weeks without seeing the people who are really the most important part of your "community". We were able to watch each other's children grow, know who they were, enjoy their talents and personalities, and we also grew with each other, siblings becoming new people as we matured and learned from the world and each other. It was something I really treasure.

Since my mother left the earth we have tried to keep the tradition alive, although not quite in the same form. We take the summers off (with the exception of special occasions) and only get together every other week now, but it still is one of the best things about any weekend for me. I know I would rarely see some of these folks were it not for this effort, and they are too important not to stay connected to. They are my history and my touchstone. They help me keep my bearings and remember where I came from.

Just as in "Blue Bloods" we have our lively discussions and disagreements, but we love each other and at the end of the day that's all that really matters. I wish we could all fit around the same table the way the Reagans can, but at least we're all under the same roof, literally and figuratively.

I love Sunday lunch

No comments: