Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Dinner

Last night I had dinner with friends and was reminded once again how important social interaction is to us when we're living alone. I've read that for the elderly especially, being alone can mean real isolation and serious issues surrounding eating well and taking care of oneself, and I can see how that happens. Because its so easy to curl up with a book and just stay alone. Fortunately I'm not there!

I stay busy enough during the day and still get out a lot at night, but sharing a meal is even more important I think. There's something about breaking bread together that makes conversation easy and opening up our hearts part of the menu. Being with good friends, whether around your own table or at a restaurant, is good for the soul. In so many ways.

By the time I got home, which was early really - 7:30 I think - I felt lighter and more content just being with people I love and hearing their opinions and sharing out lives. There's something about that kind of intimacy that's important for our souls and when we no longer have a partner to enjoy it with, our friends fill the gap. It was a short couple hours, with nothing special discussed or decided, and yet I felt as though it made my week.

Friends have been my lifeline this past year. I think the same will be true for the coming one.

No comments: