Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Mild

The weather has been nice and mild over this holiday which is great for those traveling, although I think in other parts of the country not so much. I understand in the midwest there were storms which will no doubt be here soon enough, but hopefully not affecting my family as they head back to PA or to visit relatives not yet seen.

This was a wonderful Christmas for me. Funny to say that because it was sad in so many ways, but I enjoyed it for the most part. Of course I was well aware of the missing elements in my life and I did miss being with the person I love, the one I've spent the past 44 Christmases celebrating. But I was surrounded by other people I love and there was lots of activity in and around my house to keep me preoccupied and distracted. It was only in the hours of darkness that I had time to think about loss and change. I tried to focus on the great life I had, so many years of happiness, but with all that in question now its hard to do. Sadly, many of my memories are tainted now, full of questions and lacking answers. So I need to begin making new memories, and this was a good start.

Holidays are about family and if we don't have family, we make it. Fortunately for me I do have family - lots of it. So between them and the good friends in my life I know I'll have many good memories ahead of me.

It doesn't quite make up for the ones that are lost now, but it helps a whole lot. And that's plenty to be thankful for.

No comments: