Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Ice box

They're calling for really frigid temperatures beginning later today. Now that's something to look forward to!

So far its been a nice mild winter but as we all know, that must end at some point and I guess this is it. We'll soldier on though and get through these icy, windy, snowy days and just do what we've always done: knit, read, bundle up, and wear our boots. Its not the end of the world.

I'm actually looking forward to a little snow Friday night. "Little" is the key word there! I enjoy a covering on everything because it gives the winter world a feeling of magic. Strange shapes take place as upside down planters, summer furniture, and all manner of outdoor plantings take on different forms. I love guessing what's underneath some of the mounds that appear after a fresh snow. And nothing is prettier than that white blanket that makes the outdoors look like a page out of The Chronicles of Narnia. I love it.

I don't like shoveling and I don't like driving in it, although I can do both and dealing with a little snow doesn't keep me at home. I can only knit for so long and then the cabin fever sets in. So I gladly pull on my boots and head out into the cold to do the things I want to do. My mother, Buffalo bred, would never abide by that! I think of her so much during the winter and smile at the memories she created on snow days. She was always the first to get her boots on when we were young and she loved to ice skate, so winter was all about fun for her.

SO today we enter the ice box for the weekend, and then next week things will be a bit more temperate. Fortunately where we are here on the East End, the ice box doesn't usually last too long.

No comments: