Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Empty

Today my visiting family leaves here and the house will be empty again.

There is only one cure for an empty house and that is staying busy. I'm planning a lunch date, some shopping trips, and probably some housework just to stay as busy as I need to be to forget how lonely this house has become. I could have traveled with them back to their home out of state, but I knew it was important for me to learn to adjust to the changes I'm facing, so I decided to stay for now. I'll drive myself in a couple weeks to see them, which forces me to do two things I don't want to do: be here alone now, and drive through NYC again. I dread it all, but I'm determined. There are times when one's stubbornness does come in handy and serve us well. In my case that's right now.

I'm thankful for a new year coming up. There's freedom in a blank calendar. And there's hope in new months ahead. I know that 2017 will be a better year for me than 2016 was. I'm counting on it.

No comments: