Thursday, December 15, 2016

Concerts

Last night I attended my grandson's music concert at the Middle School. It brought back a lot of memories.

I was
trying to figure out how many programs of all sorts I have attended in that auditorium over the years. I can't even count there are so many. Of course for me that was the junior and senior high school and I attended there myself for six years. Then with four children of my own I spent many years at various school programs over the course of so many years, and now, with grandchildren, history is repeating itself again. The seats have changed - they're gray now instead of the spring green they were for far too long - but everything else is about the same. Now coats of paint and new stage curtains but otherwise, I could walk back stage, go into the music room, and probably pick out my old instrument locker.

There's something wonderful about spending your entire life in the same little town. There were names in the printed program that were very familiar. Were they grandchildren of my classmates? I looked around to see if there were familiar faces. There were some but not from that long ago. Perhaps I wouldn't recognize them anyway after so many years.

It was a night of nostalgia and multiple flashbacks. Life is funny sometimes. I've thought so often lately about my past and wondered if I could go back and do things over what would I change? Being in that auditorium certainly made me ponder that again. And indeed, how would we change our lives if we were able?

An impossible question to answer. But my circumstances certainly bring out the thought.

No comments: