Friday, November 25, 2016

Main Street

I haven't been on Facebook all that much lately, having made a decision to spend less time on my computer and more on other things. Not that's its made much of a difference since I have not accomplished any of the things I thought I would with all that extra time in my days, but hey, its worth a try, right?

Anyway, yesterday morning since I was alone and all the preparations had been made for dinner later in the day, I put on a nice warm sweater, tied a matching scarf around my neck to ward off the chilly wind that always comes down the hill, grabbed a pair of gloves and headed into the village on a little walk. It was really a delightful time as there was literally no traffic at all at 8am - I barely needed to glance in either direction when I crossed each street. The wind had died down considerably since earlier in the week, the sun was shining, and it was quiet and peaceful in the village. I took only my cell phone with me, more an emergency tool as anything, and headed for a bench on the south side of Newtown Lane first. There I sat and contemplated my life for a few minutes, enjoying the beautiful morning and the lack of traffic in every direction.

Then I got up and walked to Main Street where I was struck by the beautiful window displays for Christmas. One of the nicest things about all the high-end stores that populate our business district is the fact that they use professional window decorators and their displays are always wonderful. Christmas is, of course, outstanding. So I pulled out my phone and started snapping photos of the various windows as I walked along.

When I got home I posted the best ones on the local page on Facebook and someone asked about which one was Marley's. I didn't think I had one of that storefront, but in no time at all someone else posted a photo of the current Marley's, now a real estate business. The storefronts are still recognizable because they are protected by our local Design Review Board. So Marley's is still there, it just has a different name and stuffing.

It reminded me of a meeting of the DRB a few years ago when a business owner came in with a request to change out the windows of her store. This particular shop I remember as the Pot Pourri Shop when I was a kid, run by Tess Marascca if I'm not mistaken (and I don't know if that's the correct spelling of her name). She was a wonderful lady that I was very fond of as a kid. My mother shopped in there often and although her shop was small she must have been a good buyer because it seems as though Mom always bought something. It was a real boutique with dresses, accessories, and all kinds of gift items. I used to go in there to shop for my mother every Christmas and Tess would ask me how much I had to spend. Whatever it was - usually about $3.50, she would look around until she found something that was exactly that price that she was sure my mother would love. I have no doubt the price tags were not what she said they were, but she was that kind of person. I remember one bracelet in particular that had a little music box hanging from it and you could turn a tiny handle and listen to a tune. I loved it.

Anyway, I am way off topic here. The thing is this new shop owner (the shop is called "Roberta Roller Rabbit and sells clothes and pillows and bedspreads all made from a designer's fabrics) wanted to take out the present windows which are divided with wood strips (are they called munions?) into smaller sizes, and put in solid glass windows without the dividers. She explained that it would display her goods better.

The members of the board were unmoved by her pleas and explained to her that this was a store dating back to the 1800s with considerable history along Main Street and the windows would stay exactly as they have been for all these 200 plus years. She left without her new windows and I think about that every time I look at the shop. The windows are beautiful, beckoning you in toward the front door with divided panes of smaller glass panels
.

And I can see her products just fine.

No comments: