Saturday, November 19, 2016

17th

My mother's birthday was this past week and I tried to let it pass without too much thought because it always makes me a little melancholy. But that was not to be.

First of all my niece posted a video of her on and I watched with tears in my eyes as I listened to her voice and heard her laugh. It had been years since I'd heard her voice and I miss it - and her wisdom - very much. She was my best advisor and this year has been especially difficult to navigate without her words and prayers. Her prayers would have been most welcome as the Bible tells us that the prayers of a wise woman are especially needed.
Instagram

Then, when I finally was able to sit and read the local weekly paper at 4:00 in the afternoon, who should appear on one of the pages but my mother! I was shocked to say the least. It was in the "recovering the past" section where an old photo from years ago is posted and people are asked to name the subjects. This was a picture of the Sweet Adeline chorus that my mother was a founding member of back in the 1950s and she remained a faithful chorister for over 50 years. This particular photo was taken in the late 1960s I would guess and I could name most of the couple dozen ladies standing on the risers, preparing for their annual show.

How special to see her smiling face on her birthday not once, but twice, in totally unexpected places. I'd like to think it was her way of connecting with me and saying "It's OK - I'm still here thinking about you and praying for you! I know life isn't easy right now, but it will get better!"

Well, I have no idea if that's possible but I like to think it is. Thanks Mom.

No comments: