Sunday, October 23, 2016

Sleepovers

Last night I had a sleepover guest at my house. My six-year-old granddaughter stayed over because her parents were in the city and getting back very, very late.

I love having grandchildren stay over, especially now that I'm here alone. I like having another person in this lonely house, and none more than a grandchild. I love their conversation, their love, and their sweet spirits, and having them here totally brightens my mood. In case you haven't noticed, I haven't enjoyed being alone lately, so this is just what the doctor ordered.

Now this particular grandchild is a force to be reckoned with. She's smart, funny, full of life, and very loving. She notices everything and misses nothing. And I love that about her. I need to be constantly on my toes when she's around because if I'm not I'm in trouble.

And as with any child, life is a great adventure for her. I plan to take her to breakfast before we go to church, and I know she'll love that. She's always anxious to please and will be on her best behavior for sure. So will I.

Its a short-lived pleasure, and its probably best that way. I know I don't have the stamina I used to have and while I would be the first to step up and take any of my grandchildren in if they needed a place to live, I'm content to take them in smaller doses. No doubt they feel the same way about me! I adored my grandmothers but I'm not sure I would have been happy living with them!

Last night, and now today, I'll have plenty of love and affection right with me and I haven't had nearly enough of that lately. So my plan is simply to take it all in and enjoy every second of it. I love being a grandmother...


1 comment:

Ben Reichart said...

I understand completely what you are talking about. I think it is best that our grandchildren only know us as Grandparents, not so much as people. :) Grandparents should be the stuff of legend and lore is my feeling and I aim to be just that.