Saturday, October 22, 2016

Pink

Tonight is the culmination of months of work as we celebrate our sixth "Real Men Wear Pink Cocktail Party" here in East Hampton. We begin working in May and spend our summer collecting raffle prizes, silent auction items, selling tickets, making plans, and focusing our efforts on this one night that we put aside to raise funds for local cancer charities here on the East End. I am so looking forward to it.

Like all these things it is a lot of work, and it takes a dedicated and strong committee to accomplish. And like all these things, it is extremely satisfying when our plans come together and our work is rewarded with a successful event and large amounts of money raised for a good cause.

My mother taught me years ago that while I may not have the means to support others financially, we all have the means to work hard and make a difference in our communities and the lives of our neighbors. She was so right. I am often frustrated by my inability to take care of simple needs I see through money, monetary donations being so needed so often. And yet not being able to do that is not an excuse not to. Because I can work. I can organize, I can inquire, I can set up tables and chairs - in short I can use what I do have to accomplish the same ends, and she taught me how to do that.

So tonight, when so many members of this community come out to support this event, I'll be content to know that I did my part. And I'll come home feeling tired, but very satisfied, knowing I did my part. It's a great feeling.

No comments: