Friday, October 21, 2016

Art

I've been spending a lot of time with an old friend of mine - art. Not looking at it, but making it. And its filling a void in my life right now in a wonderful way.

I wanted to be an art teacher at one time in  my life. A bad guidance counselor steered me away from that desire when I was in high school, telling me I needed to look to other areas, and I've regretted it ever since. I've always been the artistic type and I think a career in graphic design or teaching would have suited me very well. But that's water under the bridge now so I can't do anything about it. But I can pursue my dreams of being an artist.

Fortunately for me a friend from high school did become an art teacher, and since she retired a couple years ago she's created a studio in her basement where she creates. And in the past year she's invited me to join her, and I love it. We spend one night a week together down there in her bright, well-stocked basement, just creating. I've truly found a happy place for myself, and with the recent events here its been a real life-line at a time when I dearly need it. I lose myself completely as we talk, and express ourselves in ways I've longed to for a lifetime now. Between the conversation and the artwork it is the best therapy I have. I come home feeling very satisfied and content, which is a rare commodity these days.

Last night I was home before nine and went right upstairs for a long, hot bath and bed, knowing I would sleep well with a spirit at peace, which doesn't happen too often anymore. There's something about finding this opportunity to bring my soul out into the world that brings me great contentment and joy.

Music has always brought me joy, and now the creative arts are doing the same. I must be totally right-brained I suppose, and I most definitely missed my calling in life. Hopefully high school guidance counselors are better at their jobs now than they were fifty years ago...

And after all, Grandma Moses didn't start until she was in her eighties, did she?


2 comments:

Wordsmith said...

YES!!! I'm so glad to hear this news! Being creative is the best therapy for any aching heart, because it allows you to pull from places within you things that you didn't even know were n there! I also had some poor advice from a guidance counselor, and went on to work in 'ok' jobs...but not places that encouraged me in any creativity. Now that I'm retired, I can spend time being who I AM, who I've always been I'm glad you are doing the same!! <3

Ben Reichart said...

never to late to pursue your dreams.
What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
Like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?
Langston Hughes