Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Friends

I have never before understood the value of friends the way I have in these past three months. Oh, I always put great value on my friends and have worked hard in my life to cultivate good friends. I try hard to be a good friend and to be there for mine when they need me. Its not easy when you lead a busy life, but I try. But now, after what I've been through, I know more than ever how truly precious and fortunate it is to have special people who help you take care of yourself. It has given me a new appreciation for relationships.

I've been especially touched by the way friends have reached out to me. I've been taken out for meals, entertained in homes, met for breakfasts, and had so many impromptu drop-in visits at my back door that I can no longer count them. I've had many heart-to-heart talks as others tried to help me come to terms with what's happened to me and around me. I've been incredibly touched by the way some people (who are fairly new friends) have touched me, and how those I've known for so many years have comforted me simply by their presence. Its totally been my lifeline.Without these people I think I might have curled up in a ball and waited to die.

I can see that special friends are not always the ones you've always had in your life. Rather they're the ones who care enough to come to you even when they have no idea what to say or do. They simply want to "be there" for you. And they don't mind saying "I don't know what to say...." Nobody does really. But they put aside their own discomfort and questions to minister to someone else. Its amazing really. Sometimes all it takes is a hug to let someone know they are not alone.

Its taught me about friendship all over again. Its taught me that friends come in all types. Its reminded me that true friends are the ones who come to you, not run the other way. Because there are those who run! But they are the people who will be there for you no matter what. They are worth their weight in gold. I pray to be one.

No comments: