Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Weeds

Weeds have become the bane of my existence. I hate them.

I love a beautiful garden. But I hate the work that goes into having one. I've tried to fill my garden with perennials and ground cover to keep the weeds down, but no matter what I do, the weeds seem to overrun everything and they make me feel beaten down and weary just looking at them. I don't want to use weedkillers or pesticides at my house, so those are out of the question, and the idea of being on my hands and knees trying to clean out the over
gown garbage just makes me ill. I don't know how my mother did it because she was wedding and pruning her beautiful gardens up until the day she died at 81.

Not everyone is meant to love gardening, I realize, but I wish I could enjoy it enough to keep what I have looking nice. Or that I could afford to have somebody else come and do it for me. Because I do want a lovely yard and nice flowers. I love coming home and seeing Black-eyed Susans at my door and hydrangeas around the yard. But these weeds. I just can't abide by them any longer.

I'm thinking astro turf and silk flowers might fool a lot of people...

1 comment:

Wordsmith said...

I'm with you on the hating of weeds!! I used to love gardening, but always hated the weeding. Here in SC, our soil is hard clay. It's not easy to pull weeds and the centipede grass that was planted by the builder pops up in the gardens as well. I'm so disappointed to see my gardens over-run with these pesky things! I have been thinking of having a landscape tractor come in an regrade the whole yard...then start again. But, like you, I can't afford that and I don't have the energy to fight this stuff. What to do...what to do?