Sunday, August 14, 2016

The dump

The East Hampton Town dump, formally known as the recycling facility, has become a place of fascination for me. To us old timers who remember the days before recycling, when there was a big hole in the ground that we all pulled our cars up to and tossed our garbage in, it will always be " the dump". That old facility is now a small mountain covered with grass that I pass every once in awhile. I always ponder what could be done with it. What a great sledding hill it would make!

But now that I'm taking my own garbage I'm beginning to enjoy seeing what the dump is all about. It seems to take on different personalities on different days of the week and at different times. I like it best early in the morning-before 7:30. There are so few people there that we acknowledge one another with a wave or a smile, sometimes even assisting with something awkward or heavy. One morning this week a nice an came over to help me with a large cardboard box I was stung going to get out of my car. I had folded it down and it became an awkward piece of cardboard, but he grabbed it with a smile and I thanked him profusely.

This morning I arrived after 8 and the whole tone of the place was completely different. It was busy and cars were cheek by jowl packed into the spaces while their drivers hustled around doing their thing, completely oblivious to anyone else in the vacinity. I prefer the early version myself. Because if you have to go to a place like the dump, you might as well have fun doing it, right?

No comments: