Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Shadows

This morning I had to be at the hospital early for a regular yearly test. My appointment was for 8:00 but I was told to get there at 7:45 to fill out paperwork an all that nonsense. So being that this is July, I left the house at 7am in case I had trouble with traffic.

The sun sits quite low at that hour, even though it certainly is daylight. I was smiling as I drove down the back roads at one point because the light coming through the trees was sporadic and bright. The roads took on a mottled appearance and the flashes in my windows from the sun peeking through the trees was like a disco ball. I haven't seen one of those in years but I certainly remember how disorienting they were to me. This was a little disorienting as well as my eyes adjusted from bright light to shadow along the way.

It was beautiful, this morning display. It was a promise and a dismissal. Night was gone but morning was arriving full force now. soon to be bathing the roads in light but now only teasing us with what's yet to come.

Sometimes life's metaphors are unmistakable and God speaks to us through nature when we care to listen. It brings to mind the scripture that "...weeping may last for a night, but joy comes in the morning..."

I look forward to my life's next morning. And the joy that will come with it. I'm tired of the weeping part. But I know what's coming
and that makes me smile.

No comments: