Friday, July 29, 2016

Much needed

Today we are getting some much needed rain on the east end. As I sit here in front of my open window I can feel the dampness and hear the gentle sounds of the soft rainfall, along with the amplified noise from every passing car as they toss water up with their wheels and slam through the puddles. It's a nice comforting sound though. Peaceful almost.

It's been awhile since we had a good rain and I welcome it. I skipped watering the outdoor pots and window boxes yesterday, knowing relief was coming. If it rains all morning the plants will be well taken care of by nature and I won't need to intervene. Thankfully it came today because tomorrow is my niece's wedding, hopefully outdoors. I'm very much looking forward to the family time and surrounding myself with people I love is helpful at this time in my life. There's something about that which makes the heartaches and pain recede if only for a short time.

So today I'm just going to enjoy this rain. In addition to the way it calms everything down and brings life to the wanting earth, it also makes me think about the fact that God grieves for us when we're broken. And rain seems to symbolize His tears perfectly.

1 comment:

Ben Reichart said...

well said, I often think of rain as tears on the window, a line from some song or another. I totally understand.