Saturday, July 2, 2016

Change

It's hard to believe sometimes how quickly life can change. One minute you're enjoying a dinner with a friend, the next they keel over and die. Or you may be driving down the road on a family outing and out of nowhere get broadsided by a truck resulting in multiple, serious injuries. Many times I've taken people to the hospital in the ambulance and they say "Wow. I wasn't expecting to do this today!" Change happens in an instant and it can be future altering in so many ways.

I've experienced change like this before-hearing the result of a medical test, or the unexpected death of a loved one-it happens to all of us because it's part of the human condition. It's life on this earth. And sometimes it's very, very hard

It happened to me again this week.and my entire future has been altered. I thought I was going in one direction, but I've been stopped short and turned around to go in another. This is a mind blowing, frightening change that I wasn't in any way prepared for. But at the same time I know I'm stronger than I think, and more resilient than I imagined, and I will survive it. It might not be the trajectory I would have chosen, but it is my new reality, so I have no choice but to accept it. And at the end of the day, that's the only way to survive and thrive when life throws you a curve ball: acceptance.

No comments: