Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Birdsong

As I sit here in my living room, up and fully dressed before the sun rises, I'm comforted by the sounds of the birds coming into my  windows. It signals to me that life goes on, and that even though it's pitch black outside right now, the sun will come up, the world here in East Hampton will see daylight again, and life goes on. It's a promise the birds are sending. They know the world is not only what happens here within the four walls of this house, but it's a bigger place than that and nothing slows down or stops because of what any one person is going through at any particular time.

I find great comfort in that. I want there to be a better, brighter place out there for my children and grandchildren. I want to think my own failings will not affect them. I want to think that I am insignificant in the grand scheme of things, because I am.

I like knowing that a new day is here, and the birds are busy preparing for it. And even at this moment, when the light is beginning to come to us, I find encouragement and I find hope. If the birds are looking forward than so must I. Looking back isn't good for anyone.

No comments: