Thursday, June 16, 2016

Retirements

Yesterday I talked about this "retirement" thing. Today we attended a celebration for a friend who's celebrating his retirement. It's an epidemic with our friends. I guess we need to find younger friends.

I envy people who have careers that afford them the opportunity to retire at a young age and then pursue a second career-or at least discover a new "love" while they still have life and energy left to do so. One friend has developed a studio and is enjoying artwork. Another is doing some "house watching" which keeps him busy and continues to create income. People who spend years as a police officer, or teacher, or some other civil service-type job are fortunate enough to have pensions by the time they're in their fifties and then they are free to do something other than struggle to make a living. I have some friends that use their retirement for travel and adventure, and that sounds like fun too.

If we could go back and do it again I think both my husband and I would look for jobs with a municipality or school, and by now we'd be retired and enjoying the golden years in some other way. But that didn't happen so we'll continue to pursue our pay checks and hope someday we too can join the ranks of the newly retired. It's a wonderful thing to look forward to.

No comments: