Thursday, June 9, 2016

Highs

Today is one of my favorite days of the year.

Every spring my daughter's family arrives in East Hampton for an extended stay. As soon as the kids are out of school, they pack up the car, grab the dog, and head east from Pennsylvania, crossing over Staten Island, and arriving here in about five hours on the road. Today is that day.

It's so great to have them coming for over a month, affording us time to enjoy each other's company without trying to get everything into a few short days. We get to share meals, go shopping, and play games. We get to reconnect on a level that's just not possible over a quick weekend or short holiday. There are lots of cook outs and pool parties ahead and many hours of fun in the near future.

And today, even though they haven't arrived yet, is my favorite day of their trip. Because it's all ahead of me now. As each day goes by we'll be closer to the day they leave. And all this time together will make me even more aware of how much I miss them when they leave. Today it's all good. And the anticipation is killing me.

Today is one of my favorite days of the year.

No comments: