Thursday, June 30, 2016

Falling short

I hate being disappointed in people.

I mean, I know that we are all flawed and that all of us have our deficiencies so I'm not talking about the kind of disappointment I feel when someone I like stumbles a little. What I really mean to address is what happens when someone you have known - or thought you knew - so well, admired and respected, even looked up to, when those people turn out to have feet of clay, or be less honest or kind than you thought. Like when the sheep's clothing starts to slide off of the wolf and you suddenly see what's been hidden so well for so long. It's incredibly ground shaking and spirit shattering.

At times like these I have to step back and reevaluate my own integrity. It really is a sobering time and so disheartening on a very basic level. What else do we not know? Who else do we put our trust in that doesn't deserve it? I mean, where does it all end? Is there anyone we can really depend on in life? Perhaps that's why the Bible stresses that we need to place our trust and faith only in God, because no one else is humanly capable of measuring up.

And of course, the good thing is that it makes me see where I need to guard my own actions and make sure my own failings don't trip someone else up along the way. I would hate to see that happen.

1 comment:

Ben Reichart said...

I was sorry to read that. I know exactly what you mean. Perhaps we expect too much at times. I just don't know.