Saturday, June 18, 2016

Deck

I just spent three hours on my back deck reading. This is unheard of.

My morning was filled with a board meeting at the local historical society and I'm the secretary so when I got home it took me over an hour to interpret my notes and write up the minutes. Then, because this is one of the top 10 days of the entire year out there, I completely threw caution to the wind, made up a plate of goodies (cheese, crackers, fresh strawberries, etc) grabbed my unread magazines and reading material for my hospital board meeting next week, and headed for the back deck. For the nest few hours I read, absorbed, marked pages, made notations, grazed through the plate of goodies, and simply relished in this perfect day. I barely lifted a finger all day other than to unload the dishwasher and do a little cleaning up. No, this was a day for me.

These are rare days these comfortable, sunny days in June. They are hypnotizing and sacred, drawing us into their spell and making us lazy but content. I feel as though I've been on a little vacation actually and probably could accomplish a lot if I decided to. But I don't think so. I think this is a day to simply enjoy what nature has to offer, to soak in the fresh air and let the mind wander, not thinking about calories or work to get done, but simply taking in the things that make the world special.

Especially here in our little corner of it. I think I'll head back out there now because there's still plenty of daylight left to enjoy....

No comments: