Friday, June 10, 2016

Berry time

The strawberries are beautiful this year.

I know they've been out for nearly a week now, but only today did I get over to my favorite farm stand to buy some. They are so plump and such a beautiful rich red color they look like a painting-almost too perfect to be real. But they are and they are delicious.

I brought home eight quarts and spent the afternoon washing, hulling, and creating with those beauties. I have a dozen jars of jam sitting on the table. I have a pound cake in the oven and two bowls for shortcake. The only thing I still need to do is whip up some cream. It will be my dinner tonight. Not a terribly healthy one but it's a once-a-year treat and I refuse to feel guilty about it.

The strawberries will be with us for a few short weeks and I'll do my best to enjoy them while they're with us. There's no comparison to the tasteless imported ones we get in January from the west coast. So the jam will need to carry me over until the next strawberry season, which as things go will be here before we know it now, won't it?

No comments: