Sunday, May 1, 2016

Travel

Today was a travel day as we drove to Pennsylvania to visit the family there. It was a good trip with little traffic, with the exception of the rain, which is always challenging. Fortunately the light traffic made it less stressful than usual and we made good time coming down.

Of course visiting anywhere means being out of one's usual routine, with a different bed, shower, routine, etc, and that is always a challenge. As I've said before, when I was twenty I could sleep on the floor with no problem. Somehow with age (I.e. Aches, pains, and being "set in our ways") we become less flexible in so many ways, and it always takes me a couple nights to settle in. So I expect tonight to be a restless one, but our accommodations are exceptional and being here is a joy because I miss these family members. I would sleep on the floor if I had to, but fortunately I don't. I'm glad to be here.

I'm looking forward to being here, spending time with people I love and having fun sharing their family life with them for a short time. It's not easy being away from the special people in our lives, but I'm lucky enough to be able to do it regularly. I know it will become more and more difficult for them to come to us, as their oldest enters high school in September. Their lives - and schedules - are about to get very complicated. Hopefully we'll be able to continue coming in this direction for some time because otherwise we will see less and less of them, as is what happens in the natural scheme of things.

I consider that to be one of the sadder results of this modern world.

No comments: