Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Nostalgia

I always find it interesting how a brief or chance encounter can send me into a long nostalgic period.
It's another way that our brains play with our emotions and show us how closely related everything is in our minds.

This morning I was contacted by someone via the Internet who was looking for contact information on someone who I knew over thirty years ago. I didn't have the information they wanted but I knew I could find it, so I promised to see what I could do.

All day I've been thinking about these people. In fact, that's about all I've been thinking about. I've been remembering good times shared, and other friends we shared back then. I've remembered specific events and conversations, and I've longed to reconnect with them for some reason.

And I'm thinking that it has more to do with a longing for the past than anything else. There's something very appealing about being young again, when all of it was ahead of me, and life was good. After all, a young body, young love, and plenty of future would be pretty sweet.

While waxing nostalgic is not always productive, sometimes it's inevitable.

No comments: