Monday, May 23, 2016

Children


Image result for grandchildrenBy this time on any given Monday, I'm pretty much exhausted. I watch my three youngest grandchildren from 7:30 to 4:00. Every week it reminds me that I'm not as young as I used to be.

But spending my Monday's with little ones is a real education for me. Which seems odd since I raised four of my own. But I guess I was so busy in those days I didn't see the things I'm seeing this time around. The fact that I'm less stressed and more mellow may not give me any more energy, but it does allow me to step back a little more often and watch. And I do.

I'm fascinated with the inborn personalities of these three. Each one was clearly born with their own temperament, sense of humor, and personality perks. Since there are twins in this group, I've been able to watch two who are exactly the same age, growing in totally different directions. One is as outgoing as the other is laid back. One is as quiet as the other is load. And then there is the third, who follows these twins, and rather than what I would expect, which would be a very pushy kid trying to get his own needs and wants in there, he is the sweetest, mellows St child you can image. I could never have predicted these personalities based on what I've read about birth-order and personality traits.

But it reminds me of what a wise doctor said to me when my eldest' blue eyes finally turned brown about the age of two, which was rather unexpected. He laughed at the surprise and said "Fortunately, kids don't know what the rules are!"

No comments: