Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Wishes

My daughter took my grandson in to NYC today for a dance class and a show. Listening to their plans being made and carried out has made me reflect on some of the things I wish I could have done in my life. As with everyone else in the world, various things restrict what we can experience, accomplish, or make happen. Finances were always a consideration for us, as well as things like geographical restrictions and other things. Many were life choices and no one's fault, but regardless, not all the things we want to do or see, can be.

Here are some of the things I think about:
I wish I could have gone in and out of NYC and given my children (and myself) more experiences there.
I wish I could have immersed myself in art-with a studio and supplies, etc
I wish I could have given my children more life-experiences.
I wish I could have traveled more extensively.
I wish I could have done more for the charities I care deeply about.
I wish I could have been a more forceful person and accomplished more for the good of my community
I wish I had completed college.
I wish I could have been a better role model for my children.
I wish I could have been the kind of wife that engenders the devotion of a husband for
ever.
I wish I could have been a better Christian.
I wish I could have been more frugal and saved for our later years.

That's a partial list. There are always wishes that come to mind. But here's the thing. I don't really have regrets. I don't dwell on the things I didn't have or couldn't do. Because I've had a wonderful life. I have four amazing children, married to four great people, giving me ten fabulous grandchildren. And how could I do better than that? So there are things I wish I could have experienced, but in the grand scheme of things, life is just fine the way it is.

No comments: