Monday, April 11, 2016

URI

The simple upper respiratory infection, better no own as the common cold, is one of those things we all need to deal with. Everyone gets them and everyone tends to soldier on when they're inflicted. But some are anything but common and there are certainly easier ones to deal with. On a scale of one to ten, they come in every number.

I'm not sure where to put this one on the scale-it's certainly isn't the worst one I've ever had but it likewise is not the easiest. In fact it's one of those unique ones that defies the logic we normally can assign to this regular malady we all face.

I'm a pretty healthy person when it comes to things like URIs. I wash my hands a lot and try to be aware of people and things around me. My limited midi all training helps and I know how easily infections are passed from one person to another. But this one still caught me and it started with a sore throat a week ago.

Initially I tagged it as a strep throat. It had the classic symptoms of sore areas at the rear of my throat, pain on swallowing, but no congestion. I was using Tylenol to help me sleep at night all week, keeping my regular schedule going despite the desire to lay around under a blanket, just hoping it would pass. But then this weekend the congestion hit.

Now I'm staying close to the tissue box and resisting the urge to climb back into bed. And wondering if this will ever go away. After one week, according to conventional wisdom, I should be feeling much better, definitely on the other side of this thing. But today it doesn't feel that way.

Let's hope tomorrow is a better day...

No comments: