Monday, April 4, 2016

Thomas

I'm sitting here watching "Thomas the Train" with my grandchildren and wishing Thomas had been around when my two boys were young. I love the lessons and morals of this show. Not surprising since it wS written by a minister, but still,a ray of light in the sometimes dark world of children's television.

Oh there were some good shows when my kids were little. Mr. Rogers, Captain Kangaroo, and Sesame Street were the stand outs. But many of the shows today are a bit whacky in my view-with super heroes and weird teen live-cast dramas among the offerings. There are certainly more shows aimed at the younger kids than ever before, but not all are of the quality I like to see. And those on commercial,stations are so polluted with advertising that often ruins whatever lesson might have been taught.

But back to Thomas the Train! Both boys and girls seem to love the adventures of the trains on the island of Sodor, but with few shows that don't include princesses and tiaras, it's a very nice option for the boys these days. Thomas has the heart and spirit of a ten-year-old, and I think all little boys must identify. Long live Thomas the Train.

No comments: