Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Desert

People are truly funny. In some ways, they're impossible to please. Take the weather, for instance.

I woke up this morning to the news that we should expect rain all day. "Great" thought I, "the grass and flowers need some rain!"

Then I got to the hospital for my volunteer time. By then the rain was coming down pretty steadily. And every person who came in the door complained about the rain. "Well it's a great day for ducks" said one. "Yuck" said another. "What a messy day" and "Oh, this is miserable" were common complaints. I was taken aback really. Because I've been to the desert. I don't want to live there.

Honestly Arizona is beautiful. It's a wonderful place to visit and has many great features. But it's beige. All the time. I would get very tired of beige as a full time menu. I don't think I would be happy without a dose of green grass, blue hydrangeas, and pink peonies every year. But those don't happen without rain. Unless you want to live in a green house.

No, thank you very much, I'll gladly take some rain in exchange for not living in a desert environment. Because rain is the thing that brings color to the world. And I love color...

No comments: