Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Bigger

Darkness arrives later and later these days and that's a nice thing when the weather is nice. And it certainly has been.

I drove through Wainscott this morning-one of my favorite places. Since I was off the usual route through that charming little hamlet I saw things I hadn't been aware of and was surprised at the building that's taken place there. Lots of tear downs have occurred, or rebuilds, or maybe they're major renovations with huge additions-sometimes it's hard to tell the difference because it all looks new and it's all much larger. 

Which made me think. It seems as though nobody is happy with a cottage or a modest split level anymore. It's all about bigger, higher, deeper, whatever. Everyone wants a full basement with rec room, laundry, fitness center, and theater. Main floors must have multiple living rooms, huge kitchens, dining rooms, mud rooms, playrooms...what the heck? Does no one want to spend time in close proximity to their family members anymore? I mean, I'll admit that there are times I wish we had at least one more room in my house. I dream of a den, or library, where I could curl up with a good book, or work on an art project, where it's quiet and peaceful. I don't want to always hear the television. And sometimes it is nice to just be alone with my thoughts. 

But I honestly have no desire for a huge home with so many rooms. I like having company but I don't need so much living space that you'd never run into them. Call me old fashioned but I like small, cozy rooms - and a little togetherness. 

I know this is a whole different world out here in lalaland, but there do seem to be a lot of people who think bigger is definitely better. I just don't happen to be one of them.

No comments: