Friday, April 22, 2016

And more

As I sit here I feel like a virtual prisoner in my house while the driveway continues to be worked on. The machines are busy delivering and moving around stone and dirt, and the voices of those working full the air despite the closed Windows which are (hopefully) keeping out the dust. My car is over in the neighbor's parking area and going anywhere means working my way around the work area, across  their yard, and over to the other drive. Not a huge walk but dodging tree limbs and traipsing through dirt and gravel make it a bit of an ordeal. My shoes dragged lots of stuff in with them when I made the effort to go and come earlier today. In short, it's a mess.

Our driveway is not all that big. It's only the length of the house and the house is not far off the street, so I find myself wondering what it must be like when folks redo their very long driveways leading to their grand homes in other areas of the village. This project is taking at least two days, perhaps three, so I imagine other people being under construction with their driveways for over a week.

We've never built a house and I'm not sure I'd want to. As exciting it might be to have all new building materials and fresh appliances, not to mention being able to design the space of my dreams, the trade off of dealing with construction is not worth it.

I'm crossing my fingers that they're done today. But we shall see.

1 comment:

Ben Reichart said...

I expect those with the long driveways just stay at their other home while it is being done ! You do have a vacation home don't you ?