Wednesday, March 16, 2016

St. Patrick

I've never been a big "St. Patrick's Day" person. I have no Irish ancestry and when I was growing up it wasn't a huge deal so it just never was very exciting to me. My only brush with the holiday was playing in the high school band at the parade in Montauk. It wasn't a great experience because it was a cold, windy day and we wore uniforms that were skirts-rather short back in the late 1960s- and I remember absolutely freezing. It was not much fun.
I've never been back to the parade in Montauk.

Over the years since then the holiday has taken on a life that I never would have imagined forty years ago. Some people go all out with green clothing and make-up and buy green bagels and shamrock shakes and all sorts of holiday craziness. Mostly it seems to me to be an excuse to drink in excess and cause all sorts of chaos. At least that's the way it looks to me. Of course since I avoid the places where such things could be happening, I only speak from second hand knowledge. But this is what I think.

Tomorrow we are once again at St. Patrick's Day. I have no intention of wearing green, or celebrating in any way. And Sunday there will be a parade in Montauk. And no, I won't be going. Call me a killjoy, but I just don't get it.

Besides, Easter is only a week away. And that's something I can celebrate.

1 comment:

Ben Reichart said...

I have celebrated St. Pattys' over the years, mostly as you correctly surmise as an excuse to indulge in a little more alcohol than was healthy, since out growing that nonsense I will wear a green shirt to avoid being pinched but that's about it. The parade in Montauk always seemed to be a big deal.