Thursday, March 10, 2016

So, so, sew

It's been a long time since I did a major sewing project. I mean, a very long time. Until today.

When my kids were small I made lots of clothes for them. I made dresses, overalls, even a boys suit once. My girls often had matching outfits and it was really the only way I could put them into cute things. We had very little money so the only nice things came as gifts from grandparents. But I could buy a nice fabric remnant off the clearance table at Hildreth's and with some hand smocking, or embroidery, or even trim salvaged from an old dress of mine, I could create some cute things, and that's what I did. Most days when my kids took naps, or were at school, I would be at the sewing machine working on something for the, for myself, or for a new baby gift for a soon-to-arrive niece or nephew. Between sewing, needlework, and knitting, I managed to give nice gifts at bargain prices, but filled with love.

Anyway, that was the past. It's been years since I pulled my sewing machine out for anything other than a quick repair job. So I surprised myself recently when I got the urge to make something, but quickly settled on a dress for my Six-year-old granddaughter. I went shopping for all the materials, spent some weeks making a pretty smocked insert for the bodice, and finally, today, I sat at my machine.

Six hours later my back aches, my shoulders hurt, and the dress is about 3/4 finished. I think. My skills are a bit rusty and my choice of patterns is challenging, to say the least. But I think I may be able to get it done soon. I need another few hours of concentrated time and just maybe, I'll have an acceptable product.

Thankfully, girls her age are not terribly discerning. She will most likely not be aware of the mistakes....

No comments: