Saturday, March 26, 2016

Preparations

Holidays are all about preparations. Without them we wouldn't get much of a holiday.

For me the prep starts about a week before Easter. I make some shopping trips for chocolate bunnies and other gift type things to fill the eggs for the hunt in the back yard. They are stored in my bedroom  out of the sun for safekeeping. And I try to keep my hands out of the bag.

During this past week much of the work was mental, thinking about a menu, creating a shopping list, getting out table linens,  baskets, etc. Then a trip to the grocery store is inevitable, grabbing all the ingredients needed and planning out the schedule for getting it all done. Plastic eggs need to be filled and organized so each child gets an equal number.

By Friday the real hands-on work commenced with the cooking of the first dishes to be used on Easter Sunday. Today the bulk of the cooking will be done and the table will be set. The big basket of candy will be arranged and the decorations set out, and the house will be ready.

This is the way typical holiday prep happens in my house because I'm a planner. I'm sure there are people who are more "last minute" people and they may do it all at the end, but that's not my style. I'll still be up early in the morning, putting the final touches on things and doing the last minute meal stuff, but we're off to church by 9:15 and won't be home again until 11:30 so with lunch planned for 1:00 there's on,y time then to throw the roast in the oven and wait for it to cook. With the egg hunt to enjoy in the meantime the schedule should be fine. Once the prep is over, it's all fun and games.

Until clean-up time of course.

No comments: